• The fall issue of the Monmouth County Park System’s Parks & Programs Guide contains a complete listing of upcoming arts and crafts, nature, recreation and sports programs planned for September, October and November. Copies of the fall issue will be available at most county parks and online at www.MonmouthCountyParks.com beginning Aug. 14. Registration will begin at 8 a.m. Aug. 19. Registration is available online 24/7; by phone (732-842-4000, ext. 1) or by mail using the registration form found at the back of the guide.
• Monmouth County has scheduled 11 paper shredding events to give county residents opportunities to dispose of old files and confidential documents safely. All shredding events will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the following locations: Sept. 12, Marlboro municipal complex, 1979 Township Drive, and Nov. 28, Colts Neck Town Hall parking lot, 124 Cedar Drive. County residents may bring up to 100 pounds of documents to be shredded. The service is free. Details: www.visitmonmouth.com or 732-683-8686, ext. 8967.
• CONTACT of Ocean and Monmouth Counties, a 24-hour crisis intervention hotline and information and referral service, is seeking members for its Board of Directors. Individuals should be enthusiastic and dynamic with a desire to serve. An interest in fundraising is essential. Candidates should be innovative, have connections in the community and a willingness to solicit contributions, organize fundraisers and identify potential sources of growth and income. A belief in CONTACT’s mission, programs and services is required and individuals must have a commitment to increasing awareness to further expand the organization’s reach. Details: 732-240-6104 or email [email protected]
• New Jersey Blood Services, which provides blood for local patients, is looking for volunteers whose tasks will include assisting donors with registration and/or at the refreshment area. No medical background necessary. Must have transportation. All training is provided. Details: Call or text Sharon Zetts at 732-850-8906, Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• CentraState Medical Center’s 44th annual Band Aid Open, “Golf Fore Kids,” will be held at the Metedeconk National Golf Club, Jackson, on Oct. 13. The event will benefit enhanced pediatric services at the hospital. Tee times will be assisgned based on morning/afternoon preference on a first-come, first-served basis. Details: 732-294-7030 or email [email protected]
• Residents struggling with substance use issues may call 1-844-ReachNJ to speak with counselors ready to offer assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week. ReachNJ is a free, confidential hotline that provides individuals with concerns about their own or a family member’s substance use immediate help and treatment referrals. The help line is always answered by a live specialist.
• CentraState Medical Center, Freehold Township, offers a Movement Disorder Program that provides specialized treatment to patients with Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, tics, tremors, ataxia, dystonia and other similar syndromes. The program is held in the Star and Barry Tobias Ambulatory Campus. To request a consultation to help manage Parkinson’s disease or other movement disorders, call 732-637-6316 or email [email protected]
The 17th annual Freehold Township Day and Concert in the Park will take place on Oct. 3 at Michael J. Tighe Park, Georgia Road, Freehold Township. The Veterans Community Alliance will host the event with Freehold Township. Activities will take place from 4-11 p.m. A classic car show will open to the public at 3 p.m. All are welcome to attend.
• Samaritan Center, a joint ministry of St. Thomas More and Old Tennent Presbyterian churches, operates a food pantry to provide supplementary food for those in need in Manalapan, Marlboro, Englishtown and Millstone Township. For information, call 732-446-1142 and make an appointment. Volunteers will gladly carry food to a client’s vehicle. Donations of funds and food are gratefully accepted to support the operation of the center. Volunteers are always welcome.
• Monmouth County will hold backyard composting workshops for county residents. The free 45-minute workshop will teach residents how to reduce household waste, improve the soil for plants and reduce landfill waste. The workshops to be held at the Agriculture Building, 4000 Kozloski Road, Freehold Township, on Oct. 17 at 9 a.m. and Nov. 14 at 9 a.m. Participants may purchase the Earth Machine backyard composting bin at the session for $35. Advance registration is required. Call 732-683-8686, ext. 8967.
Items for the Datebook may be sent to [email protected] Please send items at least two weeks prior to a scheduled event.