August 3, 2020
The City of Watsonville is now accepting applications for the AD-HOC Committee on Policing and Social Equity. Deadline to submit the application is Friday, August 14, 2020.
DEADLINE WAS EXTENDED THROUGH AUGUST 14, 2020
AD-HOC Committee on Policing and Social Equity, composed of City Council members, Police Chief, City Manager, City staff, and community members to facilitate community conversations that will inform the future of policing and community services in Watsonville.The Committee’s work will include participation in regular meetings, collecting community input, engaging with community organizations and stakeholders, and eventually developing recommendations for the City Council’s consideration.
Community members will submit an application and will be selected by the Councilmembers on the AD-HOC Committee. Members will be selected based on a number of demonstrated characteristics, including:
- A commitment to racial equity, social and environmental justice, diversity and inclusion.
- The ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse perspectives and experiences.
- Knowledge of or experience in any of the following: in policy development, evaluation, local government and/or public sector partnerships, public safety, social and human services, human resources, public participation, service design and delivery, research, education or business.
- Demonstrated understanding of the systemic issues and barriers that should be examined.
- The ability to represent the geographic and demographic diversity of the City.
The AD-HOC on Policing and Social Equity will be a Brown Act Committee. Time and place will be accessible to the public. A total of 12 community members will be selected to participate on the Committee.The Ad Hoc Committee will serve for a period of no more than 12 months, and Committee members will be expected to serve approximately 8 -10 hours per month. All members must live within City limits to participate on the Committee (proof of address will be required).